1.07.2009

Strep. Again.

So it seems that I have a strepish infection in my throat. Again. Second time in a month. We don't know if I just didn't get rid of it the first time or if I got it again. I can't imagine why my immune system is weak right? I mean I only have 4 kids running around, coming off the stress of the holidays and nursing a baby who doesn't seem to want to sleep at night anymore. Fun times.

I started feeling a little scratchy on Monday night and when I woke up yesterday I knew I had the beginnings of something yucky. So last night I went to the Minute Clinic..this time not such a good experience. She refused to give me antibiotics until she had a positive throat culture which won't come back until Thursday..as in tomorrow afternoon! Are you kidding me? I am in pain! I can't eat or drink much..pain.

Went to bed last night and woke up about 5am in the worst pain since childbirth. Also my tonsils are about the size of hockey pucks or at least it feels that way. I knew I had to get to a doctor pronto. I drag myself downstairs to research urgent cares and found one down the road that opened at 7:30..yippee..I was going to go beg for drugs and be home for carpool. Well..didn't so much work out like planned. I was there forever and they did a rapid strep test (negative) and a mono test (mono? I thought only 10th grade girls got mono? Apparently not) which was also negative. The doctor who could not have been nicer said I clearly had an infection of some kind, was surprised the np at the Minute Clinic didn't start me on an antibiotic. So thank God I left there with a prescription....which I promptly went and filled and took. One dose down...Thank heavens. I am hopeful tomorrow I will be feeling better.

Both the doctor and nurse I saw think one of my kids may have strep and not know it? How is that possible? They recommended having them tested...guess I need to add that to the list cause I don't want to do this again. On the plus side it does help you lose weight quickly when you can't eat...of course all that you want to eat are Frappachinos and milkshakes but still...

No comments: