1.30.2009

A Lot on My Mind

I have a lot on my mind this 51st day of January (because it's been the longest month in the history of my recent memory)....

1. I think I have strep again. Again. AGAIN. Yes, that makes 3 times since the beginning of Dec. What the???? Why can I not get over this. I'm going to the dr this afternoon to beg for an extremely powerful antibiotic...

2. Jacob actually slept last night. I think God had pity on me (see #1) and blessed us with some sleep. Jacob had shots yesterday so he may have been a little drugged and he had a bottle with rice cereal in it before bed. Whatever...he slept...bliss...Crossing my fingers for tonight..

3. So, speaking of Jacob sleeping, our pedi recommended putting 1-2 teaspoons of rice cereal in Jacob's bottles. She thinks the sleep issues are reflux related. She also told me to sleep him in the swing if we wanted to which relieves me of some mommy guilt. I've never had a pedi tell me to put cereal in the bottle but apparently it's recommended for refluxy babies so there is more weight on their tummies. If it works again tonight Jacob will be getting a bottle with some cereal in it every single night until he's 12....

4. Thinking about reflux do you ever think that perhaps every baby these days has reflux because we don't put cereal in their bottles and that we wait so long to give them food? I mean when I was kid (as my mother tells it) we had cereal at like 2 weeks, food at 2 months and milk at 6 mos. Maybe babies tummies can't handle just milk? Just a thought. Seems every other baby I know is on reflux medicine..go figure...

5. Also, when I was in school (which I realize was a while ago) we didn't have near the allergy issues of today's kids (or asthma for that matter)...I mean maybe 1 or 2 kids couldn't drink milk but nothing like today. Makes you wonder how environmental it all is...

6. I'm seriously irritated that we are still waiting on a w-2..I mean Paul left that job in Nov..how long does it take or are they punishing us for leaving the company?

7. Big date night plans tonight: Bunk Bed shopping..don't be jealous...

2 comments:

Jules said...

Cute friend! Guess what - we were told to put cereal in Matthew's bottle when he was around 3-4 months for reflux, too. It worked WAYYYY better than any medicine we tried. Interesting follow-up question about earlier food vs. later food...that does sound right, doesn't it??

Anonymous said...

I agree. I told Erin months ago to tell you to thin down cereal. You're right. My kids had it at bed time starting at a few weeks. They always slept through the night. Keep it up.