1.21.2009

Snow Cream

I remember as kid it didn't snow much but when it did we were so excited. It was great to feel that excitement again yesterday with my own kids. They were SO excited to see the snow. I came downstairs before them and I could hear them get up, look out the window and then run downstairs to tell me it snowed! So cute!

As I kid I remember going out to play, coming in with wet clothes, having hot chocolate, watching TV, going out again and repeat the cycle as much as we could in one days time. Of course the snow days were few and far between so it was exciting every time. We also looked forward to making snow cream when it snowed.

When we moved to New England I made a comment about making snow cream the first snowfall. None, and I literally mean none, of my friends there had heard of snow cream. What? I guess its some sort of regional thing? Anyway, we got to make snow cream several times while living in New England and were very excited to make it again yesterday. Emma told me she didn't remember making it in MA but when she tasted it she remembered!

So, for my New England friends who don't know about Snow Cream here is the "recipe". Please note: I hear there are several variations of this recipe but this is what we always used as a kid:

1 large bowl of clean, fresh snow
Milk
Sugar
Vanilla
Optional: Chocolate syrup for chocolate snow cream

Mix snow, milk, sugar and vanilla to taste...just keep adding until it tastes good but not too sweet. If it's too sweet add some more snow. Eat right away and freeze the rest. It does tend to melt quickly.

Can't wait to to have some more today!

No comments: