7.16.2008

Lunch Lady

I got to volunteer at Emma's school today for the first time. It was so fun! Prior to school starting the PTA had asked for Kindergarten parents to help with lunch the first week of school so today was my turn. First Emma was SO excited when I told her I was coming which totally made my day. When I got there I learned the sign in/out process - it's so high tech these days - then I headed to the cafeteria to assist. My job consisted of opening a ton of milk cartons, ranch dressing packets (salad was served today), plastic containers and water bottles. Those poor teachers must never get to eat! When we had gone to a parents get ready for kindergarten seminar over the winter they encouraged us to send things for our kids that they could open. I am surprised by how many parents don't do this. Of course none of them can open a milk carton yet (where would they practice that) but parents send lots of things in that they need help with. I try to send everything in ziplock bags so Emma can get to it easily. And, if it's not in a bag I get her to practice it at home. They told us it makes them feel more independent when they open it themselves. Anyway, I digress...I was only there for about 45 minutes and like I said opened things and threw away trash. I got to see Emma for a few minutes and talk with her teacher whom I really like. After the kids get up and throw away their trash a team of teachers descend upon the tables and clean them up for the next crew. It's really quite orderly...I had no idea. A good experience and I'm glad I could go help. I do have to say that school lunches really haven't changed much - they still don't look all that appealing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love it! Did you have to wear a hair net? I am so glad Emma is enjoying Kindergarten! Tell the girls "Hi" from Eve!