6.18.2008

Great Day Gone Bad, Very, Very Bad

So Paul was off today and I decided we should have a fun family day. With only 3 weeks until E starts Kindergarten our days of leisure are coming to a quick close. On the agenda: a trip to the Musuem of Life and Science in Durham, a visit to Locopops then home for a dip in the pool - pure family fun....

The day started off well. We packed up some snacks and headed to the musuem. We haven't been there in eons and everyone raves about how fun it is so we were looking forward to it. It started out fun - I will eventually add some pictures - I got a ton! We loved the butterfly pavillion and the girls really had fun with all the exhibits.

We get done and head for the car. Which is when the day took a rapid downhill turn.

Lily was complaining about being thirsty so I told her to grab a drink out of the cooler in the car. To which she replied where is the cooler. It's in the car I told her. I can't find it she said. Oh. No.

Then I notice my purse was missing. I always tuck my purse under the console in the front between the drivers seat. I'm always careful to completely conceal it. Turns out somone stole my purse (my fairly new Vera Bradley) and our cooler. Yep, our tote bag cooler with waters, oranges and granola bars in it. Seriously...our cooler?? I guess they were hungry. Thankfully we'd had the car detailed a couple weeks ago so it was pretty cleaned out. Or else they might have hit the jackpot. Paul thinks perhaps he forgot to lock the doors as there were no signs of forced entry. I'm trying not to keep remembering this fact. But still, locked or not you don't take people's purses!!!

So Paul goes to alert the musuem staff and I start calling the credit card companies. Methinks I have 3. I pray I'm right. I call Target first and cancel my visa - no new charges today - things are looking up. Then I call SECU to cancel my debit card....not good news. $640 at an ATV shop, $12 at Maggie Moos (seriously they had my cooler why get ice cream!), $11 at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, and gas. Why did they go for that one first..it's linked right to my checking account so that sucks. Big time. Then we call Mastercard and so far only one charge - gas. More gas?? Guess they were filling up for everyone they know! We probably won't know the extent of their shopping spree for a couple days.

The scary thing is they have my license so they know where we live and I think (but not sure) I had a house key in my purse. So, Paul is at this very minute at the locksmith, with all our locks getting them re-keyed. Better to be safe than sorry.

I keep trying to remember what else I had in my purse - not a tons but I know of some lipsticks, chapsticks (including my new fav burts bees), calendar and my coupons - that I'm upset at losing. I've been collecting those for a long time now I have to start over. And of course my Vera Bradley wallet that my bff gave me for my birthday. There were some momentos from Disney World in there too that I just never took out. Shame on me...I know I had some random shopper reward cards and old insurance cards but since Paul changed jobs those are invalid. Ugg..so frustrating and upsetting. It just sucks!!!!!!

We call the police and they finally come. But let's be real..it's Durham they have bigger issues. But so that we can ensure we get all our money back we filed a report. So we leave and decide to still to to Locopops. We get there and they don't take credit cards. And, oh yeah, I had $10 in cash that I won at Bunco last week but that got stolen so we don't have any cash so no locopops for us.

Now we're home and Paul is getting the locks redone and I'm trying to not be bitter. I wish I could have a drink...I need one today....

1 comment:

Jules said...

That is HORRIBLE. The cooler?? Really?? Was that necessary???? It's just adding insult to injury. I'll be praying that you will feel safe and secure in your home...I totally get how you feel about that...