6.19.2008

The Aftermath

So it wasn't a nightmare...my purse (and cooler) really did get stolen yesterday and they really did charge close to $1000 worth of charges between 2 credit cards. Ugh...I took Emma to a playdate, bribed Lily and went to the bank to see what I needed to do to get my money back. They were very helpful and even cashed a check for me while I was there so I could have some money. I filled out the necessary paperwork for the bank. For one of the credit cards I have to wait until their paperwork comes in the mail. I ordered a new license from the dmv online (yes, you can do that - I thought there was just no way I was hauling 3 kids to the dmv), ordered a new AAA card and I need to go to BJ's to get a new card from there. So, there's still the matter of the new purse and wallet to acquire but I probably need to wait until I get my new cards for that. Paul did get all the new locks installed on the doors so that's good.

From all this I do have some lessons learned. I realize most of you are smarter than me and probably already know this but....

1. Don't keep all your credit cards in your wallet...keep at least one you don't use often at home in case said wallet gets stolen.
2. Keep a list of what you do have in your wallet and their phone numbers so you can call companies quickly if something gets stolen. I was thankful Paul was with me and has all the same cards so we had the card numbers and phone numbers readily available. Who knows how much they would have charged if it was even another hour....
3. Don't keep your PIN number in your wallet. Yes, I am that stupid sometimes...I don't think the thieves found it though...I've used the atm once in the last 3 years and it was fairly recently so I stuck the number in my wallet and never took it out. Dumb, I know..Paul was not happy when he heard that....
4. Don't leave your wallet/purse in the car especially if you even suspect that your husband will forget to lock the doors and especially if you are in Durham
5. Just generally avoid Durham - this is 2nd time my debit card has been stolen in Durham. I've had better luck in downtown Boston.
6. Thieves buy really random things...ice cream, chocolate, gas (well I guess I'd get gas these days too). If I were ever to steal a credit card I'd head straight for the mall and Ann Taylor, Nordstorm, shoes, purses....

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry...what a hassle! Yeah, I would have bought some really expensive stuff too (at least Godiva). I was surprised I got out of Durham without anything bad ever happening to us...3 years!