12.31.2008

Paging Animal Control

Over at My Hottie Friend Jules blog (Hi Jules!) She blogs a lot about the critters that invade her home. She has live critters like woodpeckers, squirrels and lots of snakes around her house. We have critters of the stuffed variety like bears, dogs, bears, hippos, bears...you get the picture. All cute, all cuddly..just a lot of them. A lot. I spent a good part of last night and today trying to organize the bonus room and the girls room a little bit. Oh my! I don't think you realize how much you have until you take it all out to organize it. Thankfully last night I got to throw out a lot since the kids were sleeping. I reorganized the play room and put some toys they don't play with often into tubs for the attic. I think we might try a toy rotation. In a few months when we're tired of our Christmas toys I'll bring down the ones from the attic. We got the girls room cleaned up today. Sadly we're giving away a bunch of stuffed animals..we just have too many to keep them all and not enough space..hopefully they'll find a good home. The girls are actually pretty good about giving things away..they think "goodwill" is a person and they are happy to give "him" some things they don't play with anymore. I'm very grateful for that.

Anyway as I was doing this massive cleaning today I kept thinking about gift giving tips I'd like to pass on. First, let me say, I am very grateful for all the gifts that we receive (Ok..most of the them)..I just want to pass on a few tips that may help you with your upcoming gift giving to any children (not just mine) as I'm sure some other moms would agree with me. Also, I am so not singling out any particular gift giver..I can't even remember who gives us a lot of gifts...Just things that came to mind while cleaning today....

1. If there are children under 18 mos living in the gift recipient home please do not give any of the following: my littlest pet shop (there is a reason it has "littlest" in the title), polly pockets or those polly pocket princess things. The pieces are too little and end up every where especially in your toddlers mouth. And your 4 year olds can not put the clothes on themselves. And they get very upset when the little shoes get vacuumed...
2. Yes, stuffed animals are cute and very cuddly but think about how many a child may have before giving them new ones...I know this one is rough for some of you to hear but we just get overwhelmed with them and space is an issue.
3. Please remember batteries.
4. Please be mindful that toys that cost $1 are that price for a reason...they are cheap..anything that has parts will break (i.e. cars with wheels) and those pieces will end up in a toddlers mouth or under a grown ups bare foot...
5. Books are always welcome gifts
6. Candy...not so much...

2 comments:

Jules said...

Ha! Love it all! Last year we donated some stuffed animals (me and the two boys - so they knew we were doing this) to a local fire station. They give them to kids that have been in accidents or house fires.

Another thought (thanks for the shout-out by the way): at least the stuffed variety aren't destroying your home one bite at a time.

Finally, totally agree about the toys. You just forgot to mention about how especially annoying - for parents - the noisy ones are. I'm sure you meant to include that, too, right?

Erin said...

Okay, I think my gifts pass the test! Except for when I take those girls to Build-A-Bear! :-) Happy New Year, girlfriend!
PS - I'm getting Jacob a drum set when he turns 3.