10.12.2009

Potty Training Troubles

Oh my do I have a stubborn girl on my hands. We've been trying to potty train Julia for months. And literally I mean months. I started in June when she was just shy of 2 1/2..my other 2 were totally trained by then (well except for pull ups at night) so I figured she should be too. Day 1 was a disaster so I decided maybe she wasn't ready and we had summer travel coming up so I'd wait. We tried again in July. Again..disaster. She'd wet and says "I pee." She just wasn't getting it. Then we were moving so again I decided to wait. Around Labor Day I decided to get serious. You see, my philosophy, for a while has been that you have to be just as ready as the child for it to work. I mean you have to commit to staying home, minding the clock, cleaning up messes, laundry. No easy task. But, I was ready. We set up a potty chart. With stickers! And candy! And prizes! And no luck. None. She cried when she went on the potty and after 3 intense days we saw nothing. Just a bunch of dirty laundry. So I gave up. Thought I needed to change my method. The problem is I'm not sure what to do. Should I just wait it out? I mean I know she won't go to Kindergarten in pull-ups. I'm just sick and tired of buying her diapers. So I'm looking for help my friends. Anyone have any recommendations on things that worked for very stubborn, strong-willed children? Anyone have any ideas on how to get her from being so adamant about not using the potty. It's making me crazy and people..I need some sanity back. Not to mention coffee money for the winter (peppermint mochas and gingerbread lattes are coming). Help!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I have no words of wisdom here...Melissa at Kids R Kids potty trained Eve for us. It was awesome. I will love her for all of eternity for it...really. I can say that maybe peer pressure from preschool will help...if other kids move up to another room and she wants to go too - that's what usually motivates them.

Our4GreatKids said...

Good luck! With all of my girls, we let them run around the house w/nothing on their bottoms and put a potty in the room where they were playing & set a
potty alarm clock... worked like a charm. Jacob (get ready!) was MUCH more difficult. Honestly, it didn't matter how hard I tried or what I did, he could have cared less. And wearing nothing on his bottom was funny for him. HE decided completely on his own one day that he would potty train. He was 6 weeks shy of 3 yrs old... and once he chose to go in the potty... he never had an accident. He just was NOT going to until HE decided to... and that is the way he is about everything!

kristin said...

oy. i feel your pain. jack was a nightmare to train. we tried potty scotty (google it - it's a real thing), sticker charts, a guitar (his favorite toy) and just about any other bribe friends suggested. we tried off and on for a year to potty train him and had NO luck.

then? the week before his fourth birthday? we were in hilton head with jeff's family and he just decided to start using the potty. just like that. fully potty trained both pee and poop and overnight. lots of people told me he'd do it when he was ready but i wanted him to do it when *I* was ready. the kid showed me, for sure :)

it sucks big time but you may just have to wait (and wait, and wait and wait).

Jules said...

I waited until both boys were about three, and it was pretty easy. Just went cold turkey on them and underwear was the only choice (except at night). I would guess that if she is not improving in keeping them dry after a few days of serious trying, she may just not be ready. Hang in there - you're totally right about the kindergarten thing! :)