10.28.2009

Just How Old Do You Think I Am?

I pick the girls up from school yesterday and our conversation goes something like this:

Emma: Mommy (because every single sentence must begin with this), my homework tonight is to ask you what you used to do for fun when you were a little girl.
Me: Oh..well..we used to play outside, play Barbies, play...
Emma interrupting: Um, they didn't have Barbies back then..
Me: What? yes they did...I had all kinds of Barbies. We played video games called Atari, a lot of the same things you did
Emma: You mean they had TV when you were a kid?
Me: Um, yes! How old do you think I am?
Emma: Well...
Me: Yes we had TV..ok so we didn't have cable until I was in the 6th grade and we didn't have remote controls but we had TV and it was in color!
Emma & Lily: Huh?
Me: We had TV but no Disney Channel. And you had to get up to change the channels because we didn't have a remote control.
Lily: You didn't have the Disney Channel???
Me: No..I did not.
Lily: Wow..you are old
Me: I'm NOT that old!
Emma: I bet you didn't have a microwave
Lily: No microwave? How did you make popcorn?
Me: sigh..We got a microwave when I was in middle school. It was enormous and took up half the counter and had a turn dial. But it was a microwave. And before the microwave we used a popcorn popper or we used Jiffy Pop on the stove.

On second thought..I don't want to know how old you think I am.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my answers would be exactly the same except I didn't have a lot of Barbies, so you must be the same age as I am.

Peeved Michelle said...

OK, not sure why my name showed up like on my previous comment.