10.20.2009

Deep Fried Fun

The State Fair is in town and Paul needed to take a vacation day before the end of the month so we decided to make a day of it and go. We took the girls out of school a little early (sshh..don't tell) and went after we picked up Julia from preschool. As we ate, I mean walked, around the fair a few things came to mind: 1. What else can we possibly deep fry..wait..I'm sure we'll find out next year. 2. People will wear anything, and I mean, anything to fair. 3. I don't think we were the only people taking kids out of school for the fair. 4. There is always a line for the NC State ice cream. 5. If you go to the fair during the day on a school day there are no lines for the thrill rides but the kiddie rides are packed. 6. Really..pajama pants? You're going to the fair and you couldn't even put on jeans? 7. High heels? Really? Again..you're going to the fair. Walking, dust, rocks...and you wonder why your feet hurt? 8. You can spend a lot of money very quickly at the fair. 9. Parking is free! 10. Thank goodness we only do this once a year.

We really did have a good time. My sister in law came with us so that was good. Always better up to up the child to adult ratio. It's also nice to have someone to share the food with and since Michelle is always up for eating anything it's all the better. The girls got to ride a bunch of rides and play a game. Julia was pretty nervous about the rides at first but after she did one she couldn't get enough..very cute. Jacob mostly rode in the stroller and screamed. He did thoroughly enjoy the ice cream though. Mostly we just walked around and ate. And speaking of food here's what we ate and what I thought of it since I know that's what you're all dying to know. And let me preface this by saying there were 3 adults and 3 1/2 kids eating most of this food. I did not consume all portions of this list. I might could have but I didn't:

1. Al's French Fries- As Michelle says - got to start with fries and they must be Al's. Two locations to serve you.
2. Footlong Corndog - kids loved it.
3. Deep Fried Ho-Ho- I was pretty excited about this one. It was good. Great? No. But definitely worth trying.
4. Roasted Corn on the Cob - got to have one...every year...so yummy.
5. Fried Dough - with just cinnamon and powdered sugar - this got rave reviews from the my kids. Especially Jacob who squealed with delight upon eating this goodness.
6. London Broil Sandwich - I actually didn't eat this but apparently it was good or so said my husband.
7. Fried gizzards on a stick - I kid you not. Again..not something I ate but Michelle and Paul did..apparently it delighted them. I just thought it was funny.
8. Ribbon Fries - one of my fair favs. They were yummy and Jacob loved these too. So did the rest of my kids. Lily actually looked disappointed when they were done.
9. Ham Biscuit - Again..not me but Julia, my 2 year old, loved it.
10. Deep Fried Cookie Dough - Simply the best thing I ate. My favorite, favorite thing. Oh. So. Good. Way better than the ho-ho or the snickers.
11. Pig Lickers a.ka. Chocolate Covered Bacon - Seriously they call them pig lickers. That's just funny. My opinion? Not as good as I was hoping for. It was only OK. I much, much prefer the deep fried cookie dough. Paul and Michelle thought it was good but not great. However, my 2 and 5 year olds? Loved it...couldn't get enough. Go figure.

Now that my arterties are sufficiently clogged I must go wash my veggies for tomorrow since I'll only be eating that and water. Again..glad it's only once a year. Pics coming soon just too tired tonight!

No comments: