10.18.2009

Audiobooks are my new Best Friends

I love audiobooks. Love them, love them, love them. And, love, love that the library has so many to chose from. This weekend we had to go on an unexpected road trip. Sadly Paul's grandmother passed away last Sunday so we needed to travel for the funeral. Destination: August, GA where his grandmother lived for many years and where his grandfather was buried. It's about 5 hours to Augusta from our house. And we took all 4 kids. The last time we took a road trip, to VA to see my aunt, I had gotten a couple audiobooks and it worked like a charm. If you've been reading my blog or know my kids at all you know my 6 year old talks non-stop. And when I say non-stop I mean all. the. time. So for her to actually be quiet for any length of them (say 10 min) is appreciated. So, Thursday I popped by the library and picked up a few audiobooks for the trip. They had some oldies but goodies: "Ramona Quimby, Age 8", "Nancy Drew," "Stuart Little", "Encyclodia Brown." Brings back many memories from elementary school. Nonetheless I settled on "The Magic Treehouse" (5 hours!), a Cam Jensen mystery and "Ramona Quimby, Age 8". Lily ended up riding with my mother in law but Emma was so excited to get to hear the books. She asked for one as soon as we got on the road and we listened to the stories the whole trip. It was so peaceful. Success!!

The rest of the trip was good..or as good as it gets when you are traveling for a funeral and traveling with a one year old that's just learning how to walk. We got to see a lot of Paul's family that we hadn't seen in a long time and I got to meet some cousins that I've never met. Everyone was excited to see the kids and though it wasn't easy having Jacob with us I'm glad they got to see everyone.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Amen, sistah! We love audio books, too, and listened to "Stuart Little" and "Ramona Forever" while traveling this summer. And, of course, MTH is always a hit. With audio books, you don't have to wish that your van came equipped with a clear sound-proof window dividing the driver and front passenger from the rear of the van. Know what I'm saying??