8.21.2008

No Sharing

With Paul still on vacation I took advantage of him being home and went to have lunch with Emma today. Well, I went to sit with Emma while she had lunch since 1. it's too early for me to eat at 10:50, 2. school lunch is not that appetizing and 3. I'm too lazy to pack my own lunch. In any event I didn't tell Emma I was coming so she was surprised and excited to see me (love that...I know that won't last forever so I'm trying to savor those moments). She introduced me to a bunch of her friends and it was a lot of fun. (But boy does the cafeteria get crazy when 5 kindergarten classes get in there) In the process I learned a valuable lesson...

Emma had a bag of baby carrots in her lunchbox. Her friend Courtney asked what they were and I said carrots and then I asked would you like one. She said yes so I gave her one. Which was apparently the wrong thing to do. Emma looked at me like I had 6 heads and said what are you doing? I said I was sharing and she promptly grabbed the bag of carrots and said we don't share food. Then, the little boy on the other side of me proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that..sharing is not allowed. You would have thought I'd robbed a bank. But, who knew. I guess it makes sense..you know food allergies at all that. But I didn't know. But, now I do. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... the no sharing food rule. Hard to teach kids to share everything else, but not food. We are trying to teach that at home so it will hopefully transfer to other places when I am not present b/c last summer we learned (the hard way) that Jacob is allergic to peanuts, eggs, & kiwi along w/his lactose intolerance. It stinks... but it is manageable.

Amy said...

LOL...I just learned this rule myself after years of saying "Sharing means caring."...not so much at school.