8.20.2008

Bad Genes

Our poor kids -Paul and I both have terrible vision. Paul started wearing glasses sometime in elementary school and I got them in high school. Paul's vision was pretty bad but he was able to have LASIK about 6 years ago and he sees great now. My vision continues to go downhill and I'll never be a candidate for corrective surgery. My eyes have so many issues I shouldn't even wear contacts. So we figured at least some of our children would have eye issues...I was just really hoping that it would be later in their life. But a couple weeks ago Lily failed her eye test at her 4 year check up. So, the pediatrician told us to take her to the eye doctor to get her checked.


So we went today to the eye doctor. She did great...I was so proud of her - she let them take pictures of her eyes and they even got the puff of air into one of her eyes (she couldn't do the other eye). Turns out she did better at the eye doctor than at the pediatrician..which was good. She doesn't have to have glasses, yet. But we'll have to monitor her vision closely and probably within the next year or two she'll have to get glasses. Bless her heart. Thankfully she thinks glasses are cool and she had a blast trying them on at the eye doctor. Hopefully she'll still feel that way when she actually does have to wear glasses. Sometimes heredity stinks.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I know - I'm hoping our kids have Alan's vision instead of mine...although Matthew was 20/30 in one of his eyes at his checkup. I had LASIK in February...after getting married and having my boys, it's the best thing I've ever done. Wish you could do the same!