11.06.2009

Throwback!

The first graders at Emma's school had a "Through the Years Museum" in the media center (library if you haven't been in an elementary school lately) today. They asked parents to bring in different items and antiques to depict how technology has changed through the years. They've been talking about this for awhile so Emma was very excited this morning to get to actually see the different items. I was lucky enough to get to volunteer for the event and go to see really cool things. They had old-timey kitchen utensils, typewriters, a word processor ('member those!), record player and records and all kinds of "old" toys. Meaning old to the kids but many I remember so I would not classify them as old..older maybe..definitely not old.

The best part was looking at the toys. There was an honest to God Atari with a whole bunch of games. Pacman anyone? Space Invaders? Vintage Strawberry Shortcake dolls - we couldn't touch them so I didn't get to find out if they still smelled or not. And the best....a pair of white roller skates with red pom-poms!

Those skates totally brought back a wave of memories for me. Saturdays at The Rink (you know before the ice storm caved in the roof). I had a pair of white skates (of course) and I remember going to the Skate Shop to look at all the accessories to pimp out my skates. I remember saving up money to get some blue pom-poms and blue sparkly laces for my skates. I think I had blue wheels too. Totally awesome. You'd round up your friends on Saturday morning and figure out who's mom would drop you off and who would pick you up. Grab your own skates 'cause rentals - yuck and not cool and hit the skating rink. Fun times..fun memories!

No comments: