9.24.2008

Superheroes

Last night Spiderman came to our gymnastics gym. Aren't we so lucky! Turns out Spiderman had a birthday yesterday..just turned 3 and all of sudden wears a Wonderpets cape but he's very cute. I so love when I see little boys in superhero costumes at random times of the year. I've seen Superheroes at the park, grocery store, preschool pick up and at the mall numerous times. I'm sure you have too. Here's what I love about seeing kids in superhero (and princess) costumes at random places: both the kids and the mom have the confidence not the care what other people think. Before I was a mom I didn't understand why a mom would let their little boy wear a superhero costume to the park. But, now I get it. It's what the kid really wanted and the mom just didn't care or didn't want to fight it..you pick your battles you know. I also think it takes a special mom to let her kids wear superhero costumes out and about. A mom who is confident in who she is and doesn't care if she gets disapproving stares from strangers.

As I was thinking about this last night it made me remember a bunch of things I didn't understand before I was a mom like:
1. Why do little girls always have a sprout on top of their heads? Well, duh..it's not long enough to back any further and the only way to keep hair out of their eyes
2. Why don't moms make more of an effort for their children to match? Again..you pick your battles and some moms chose not to fight ones that involve clothes, hairbows, tights or shoes
3. Why do moms ply their children with food in the grocery store? Because if we didn't we'd be asked to leave because of the screaming/crying/whining that would take place and our families need to eat
4. Why mom cars have stickers all over their car windows? Because some "nice" person gave your 2 year old a bunch of stickers thinking they were cute and your 2 year old stuck them all over the car window and now you can't get them off.
And that's just to name a few....

No comments: