5.11.2009

Motivating Mother's Day

We had a very lovely Mother's Day...hope you did! Though the day was not what I envision for a Mother's Day it was great. The day started at 6am (see I told you it wasn't the type of day I envision for a Mothers Day..in my dreams my Mother's Day doesn't start until 10 or so..). We were in the town of Lumberton, NC and had to get Paul and my sister in law to White Lake so they could compete in a Sprint Triathlon. For those of you who don't know a Sprint Tri involves swimming 1/2 mile, biking 14 miles and running a 5K...seriously..and there were a lot of people voluntarily doing this torture! So we get to the tri spot and they get ready to race. There were thankfully a lot of our neighbors who were also competing (again voluntarily!) so there were lots of people to hang out with and talk to. Paul and Michelle (that's my sil) did great. I'm so proud of them - what a wonderful accomplishment to finish the race. And though I have little to no desire to do one of these myself, it's very inspiring to see all the athletes out there. There were athletes of all ages and sizes out there - from kids (a 16 year old girls was the second female to finish) to seniors (there was even a man who was competing in the 80-84 age group and he finished). People you would expect to be really fit by the way they look and others you wouldn't but they finished too and raced hard. Again, it was very inspiring..I even made my way to the gym when we got home (again..not how I would normally spend Mother's Day).

We collected the kids (I only took Jacob with me to the race - my mother in law and cousin kept the kids) and headed home. At home I was presented with my wonderful Mother's Day gifts. Emma picked out some fabulous earrings for me from Claire's (and by fabulous I mean the it's the thought that counts). My big gift (and before you laugh let me preface this by saying I actually wanted it and no, I'm not 12) was a Nintendo DS. Seriously. I had played my bff's (no, she's not 12 either) when she came to visit and it was fun. There are actually some adult games for it. It came with the most adorable case and Paul got me some games too - Brain Age and Scrabble. And it came with a cooking game. Fun!!

Emma insisted we had to go out to dinner and she chose Chinese so we did. She also insisted we need to go out for ice cream so we did that too. My kids behaved relatively well so that in and of itself was a nice gift!

No comments: