5.04.2009

If I had a dollar...

For every time I heard these words "you really have your hands full" I would one VERY, VERY rich lady. I hear it when I'm out with Julia and Jacob occasionally..presumably because people assume they are close in age. However, when I am out with 3 or more children I hear it all the time. Case in point: I was at Walmart this afternoon with all 4 kids. A trip I try to avoid at all costs but it was necessary (I chose hanging out friends this morning over shopping). Jacob was in the baby bjorn, Julia in the front of the cart, Lily in the back of the cart and Emma walking. I must have heard at least 4 times in the 50 minutes I was in the store "wow..you really have your hands full." What do people mean by this exactly? Sometimes people say it jokingly but other times it comes across very condescending. And, what should my response be? Yes, I do..want to help? Or should it be "no..we can handle more" (but that would be lying..but that's another story)? Whatever..I just wish I had money every time I heard that and then I'd have a lot of cash...a lot...

3 comments:

Buffie Cullens said...

A friend of mine with 4 children also hears the same comment. Her reply is the same each time...."better full than empty.

Peeved Michelle said...

How about, "It's takes sacrifice to build up a militia. We have another on the way!" Or, "I can't wait to really put them to work in a couple years." Or, "The smaller ones fit down the mineshaft better." Or, "Would you like to buy one of the middle ones?"

Our4GreatKids said...

If I am in a good mood, I'll tell people "Hands and heart!" But if I hear it and only have the twins w/me... I laugh and tell them "This is only half of it!" I do get tired of hearing it, too. Don't understand why people feel the need to comment.