10.24.2008

Flu Shots, Fair and Fried Food

Paul's been on vacation this week, a well timed one to coincide with not only helping me but also with the fair. Paul loves the Fair...loves it. So the plan was that he and his sister would take Emma and Lily to fair while I opted out this year. I didn't really want to take Jacob. So he ordered the tickets a month ago and he took them on Wednesday. Apparently they had a great time. They rode rides, ate bad food and played some games. A fun time for all. Paul was a little bummed because he didn't find some of the food he was hoping to get. But, I got the impression they still ate pretty well.

Yesterday the girls were all scheduled to get their flu shots. We were going to take Emma out of school for that and decided we'd go the pumpkin patch afterwards since we hadn't done that yet. I've been wanting to go to the pumpkin patch for weeks but Paul hasn't been too excited about it. He thinks about how much it will cost..I think about the fun and memories. Whatever. Well, I get a text message at Bible Study yesterday from Paul saying it was canned food day at the fair and we could go for free if we take food. Then I get another one saying we'd spend less money than the pumpkin patch. Apparently Paul really, really wanted to go back to the fair. Since this post is getting pretty long I'll get right to the point: pumpkin patch = out, fair = in.

We get Emma and head to the dr office for the flu shots. I tell you what..it's getting harder and harder to give my older kids shots. We had Julia go first..who did not even cry..and then it was Emma's turn. We had to hold her down. Then after it was done she said "it didn't even hurt." Lily was a hot mess too..had to hold her down. But, it's now done. Then we headed to the fair.

We told the girls we weren't doing rides since they had done them the day before. So basically we walked around, ate and let them play some games. I was also able to get my flu shot for free, which seems very random but I have been needing to get one and it was there. All in all it was a fun day. It was a little chilly but in the sun not too bad. The BEST thing we ate was the deep fried cookie dough..OMG..it's a little bit of heaven. Makes me happy just thinking about it...

I've been going to the fair for many, many years. As someone who grew up in Raleigh we went every year. I suppose I missed going my college years and we missed a few years when we lived in MA but I've been a lot. And let me say..the fair never changes. Sure the red cross building is updated and I don't know if they still do the Pink Floyd Laser Show where people used to go to get high but for the most part it's the same. Some new foods but a lot of the same foods..in the same spots. Vendors in the same spots, rides in the same places, same "interesting" people. Some things you can always count on.

Here are a few pics from the Family Fair Day:




2 comments:

Jules said...

So, how do you know that people used to go to the Pink Floyd Laser Show to get high, Missy?? :)

Amy said...

OMG...I totally forgot about that! Sadly, I don't think they do it anymore...and I never got to go.