12.23.2009

A Baking We Will Do

I've lost count of the number of pounds of butter, sugar and flour I've been through this season. Which is probably a good thing. We've (and by that I mean me) have been baking like crazy since Thanksgiving. For one thing I really enjoy it (well mostly really enjoy it) and it just seems like there's constantly been an occasion to make things for. I am however about thisclose to being over it and I am thankful there are only 2 more big meal occasions. Only a little more baking that needs to be done. Thought I'd share what we've been making and our review of it.

Amish Friendship Bread - Cinnamon, Lemon and Butterscotch variations - I actually started making this earlier in the fall but had about a million starters in the freezer. I stopped feeding the starters because I was just over it. I found a recipe using just the starter and it turns out good bread. Cinnamon is my favorite but the other variations are good too. Just know that if you start this you are committing yourself to making endless loaves of bread. One good thing is that each time you make 2 perfect for Sunday School teacher gifts.

Soft Ginger Cookies - these are a staple now for the holidays - they are easy to make and almost always turn out perfect. They freeze well and are good for cookie exchanges

Snowballs - I've made a couple batches of these since they are Paul's favorite. Another easy cookie and there is no egg in them if someone you know has an egg allergy.

Red Velvet Biscotti - this was a Paula Deen recipe that I tried for the first time this year. It won't make my holiday short list of things to make again.

Chex Mix - love homemade chex mix and the kids liked helping me make it.

Sugar Cookies - standard to do at least once during the season. We made ours early in the season this year.

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake - made this Paula Deen recipe for the first time last night. And it was ooey gooey goodness. Will definitely make again and super easy.

Mint Brownies - made these yesterday and Paul loved them. They are rich and decadent but it's the holidays. They also look very festive with the green layer in them.

Bread Pudding - This is my old Chef's recipe from when I worked at the hotel. It's the best. dessert. ever. I only make it Christmas and Thanksgiving. The calories last the whole year through though.

Pumpkin Bread - always make a few loaves. Kids love it. Love to freeze it. Good stuff.

Buckeyes/Peanut Butter Balls - Lily's favorite - she could eat her weight in them. She loved helping me make them. One of our must have favorites

Mint Bark - I found this easy bark recipe using oreos/white chocolate. Thought I'd spice it up using candy cane oreos but alas there were none to be found at Walmart. However, they had cool mint oreos which seemed to be about the same thing. The result - super yummy and Emma's favorite. Also super easy. Bonus!

Snowman Cupcake Cake - Made this for Julia's preschool and it turned out cute. I "borrowed" the idea from Kroger and it turned out cute.

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls - I have been wanting to find a good cinnamon roll recipe and I stumbled upon one. They turned out good and very pretty. I'll be making these for Christmas morning.

Cowboy Santa Cookies - we got a mix in a jar of these and made them - they were pretty good - kids gave them mixed reviews.

And last but not least I'll make a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake for Christmas Eve. It's tradition and I try to pick a different festive cake each year. Not sure what we're doing yet but it will get done today.

So..what have you been baking? What your favorite holiday treats?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Goodness!!! You really have been baking! We made sausage balls, gingerbread cookies, Chai Tea Eggnog cookies, fudge, and tomorrow is sugar cookie day.
Oh chocolate chip cookies and red velvet cupcakes, mint brownies, and Nutella Pumpkin Pies too!