8.02.2011

Going Green

If I'm honest, we recycle around this house but until recently that's about as "green" as we got. Sure, I have 500 reusable tote bags (of course..I love a tote bag) I just never remember to actually use them. If I get them from the house to the car I rarely remember to take them from the car actually into the store. But that's a changing...the Potter's are Going Green.

Goal 1. Reducing lunch box waste..I have 2 kids who I pack lunch and snack for almost every day. And 2 more who generally get at least 1 snack a day packed for them. I'm almost ashamed to admit to the number of ziplock bags I've used just in the last year. So this year I'm making this change a priority. I got some Fit & Fresh reusable containers and some cute reusable snack bags (you can see some super cute ones here). So far this is a pretty easy thing and the girls love getting their food in little containers. I just hope they remember not the throw them away!

Goal 2: Cloth napkins. Oh this is fun because I made my own! That's right...Martha Stewart..watch out. I have never sewed but I've been wanting to for years. A couple years ago a sweet friend gave me a sewing machine and it turns out it works great. Thanks to Nana Cheryl who got me started and my awesome neighbor for the encouragement I made my own napkins. For the kids I went to Joann's and picked out some fun fabrics for each of them. For other napkins I bought some fabulous pre-cut 12x12 squares at Michael's and stitched them together. They are a little smaller than some napkins but they work great for us and I LOVE the fabrics.

Goal 3: Remember and use my reusable shopping bags. I've got a couple in the car but I'm going to try to be much more diligent about using them and trying to reduce the number of plastic bags I get.

Starting small with 3 manageable goals. I'd love to at some point get a compost bin - I think it would be great to have the kids help with it. We are planning some really cool "green" initiatives at school this year so hopefully the kids will keep us on our toes at home too. It's good to be green.

No comments: