8.18.2011

Sometimes They Do Pay Attention

Yesterday afternoon Julia had her first soccer practice (it was totally adorable and except for a small shoe malfunction she had a great time and I'll talk more about it in a future blog post). So Julia wanted "the whole family" to come watch her play. I guess she's been dragged around to enough events that she wanted her turn of people coming to watch her. So she's out doing her soccer thing which left me, Paul, Emma, Lily and Jacob on the sidelines. Paul promptly sat down in his chair and pulled out his phone and didn't move for the next hour. He claims he looked up a few times but whatever. Jacob was fine - he just played around and climbed through the bleachers annoying all sorts of people. The girls however were a different story. They whined the whole time. It's hot! I'm bored! I'm hungry! Why do we have to be here? Take me to the park? For an hour. Fun times. Anyways..finally it was over. So we get to the car and the request was made to get ice cream. Paul and I decided, much to the kids dismay, that we were not getting ice cream..the girls were just too annoying to reward them with ice cream. Well, as you can imagine, this didn't go over well and more whining commenced. But eventually they got over it and all was quiet in the car. Then Lily says this:

Lily: Mom..I think you need to show us grace
Me: What? What do you mean?
Lily: Grace is when you give someone something they don't deserve and well we don't deserve ice cream but you should give us grace and let us have some anyway.

She's been learning about grace at church this month and I was stunned to hear this come out of her mouth. It just makes me so happy to know she does pay attention (sometimes) and that lessons sink in!!

By the way - I didn't give into the ice cream but I did let them have one oreo cookie when we got home..I felt like that was enough grace extended.

No comments: