6.23.2009

Jon OR Kate Plus 8?

I'm so sad for this family. So, so sad. You know I've been a big fan since the very first special (since I am wildly fascinated by big family stories on TLC). I do think the show has gone downhill in the last year with them pimping out everything from beach houses, trips, motorcycles and playhouses. Again, I say, it was much more enjoyable when it showed their real every day life. But I still can't stop watching. But anyway I digress, I was so sad to hear last night that their big announcement was indeed divorce. I was not surprised or shocked but just sad. It's sad to see two people who are Christians (or at least proclaimed to be when they wrote their first book and went on speaking trips to churchs) or anyone for that matter seem to give up and decided to separate. I am sure it's tough to be in the public spotlight and of course the editors of the show make us see what they want us to but it does seem as though they are giving up. {Sidenote: What is up with Jon's new look? The earrings? Seriously? Can you say midlife crisis} They kept saying they are putting the kids first, that their first priority was the kids. I'm sorry but it seems to me that if your first priority is your kids then you fix your marriage. And perhaps fixing your marriage means quitting the darn show. I think it's just tragic that they are continuing the show. I mean divorce is hard enough for kids when they aren't on TV...but these poor kids..going through all this while it's being broadcast across the country. Jon & Kate are in denial if they think the kids aren't being affected. Especially poor Mady & Cara - you just know people at school are talking about it.

AND, one last thing, I was horrified that Jon actually used the word "excited" to describe how he was feeling about the situation. And how he said he "doesn't hate Kate but you.." Um, no, we don't know. She is the mother of the your 8 children, she is the one you committed to 10 years ago and 10 months ago in Hawaii when you renewed your vows IN FRONT OF YOUR 8 CHILDREN. I'm pretty sure those vows included for better OR for worse. I do hope their separation is temporary and somehow they are able to work it out. I did actually feel sorry for Kate last night (which I rarely do). She seemed much more upset about the situation than Jon. But again..editting..and there are 2 sides to every story..clearly Kate has not been the kindest to Jon but then again what would people see if our lives were taped all the time?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hey, clicked on from Buffie's blog... Just want to say a HUGE "amen" to this post! My thoughts exactly!

I even emailed TLC telling them I thought it was horrible that they continued to air the show and how the children will be the ones who pay for all of this in the long run.

And the Hawaii show just dumbfounds me. They made such a big deal about showing their kids they'd "be together forever."

So, so sad.