5.11.2011

How Long Before Child Services Calls?

It's pretty sad when the children's ER doctor starts to recognize you. Just ask my husband who has been 2 times in as many months. I'm sure we all remember Jacob and The Clipboard Incident of 2011. Today it was Lily's turn. We'll call it the See Saw Incident of 2011. Here's how it all went down and how I totally lost my Mother of Year badge for the 1000th time this year.

It was about 2:20 and I was on the phone booking a Disney vacation for a fabulous client. We'd already been disconnected once (darn you Sprint) so we were chatting on the house phone. My cell phone starts ringing but I ignore it (and here's where I lose the badge). I notice the number looks like it could be school but I get calls from school all the time that PTA related. So I figure I'll finish with Wendi and call back since they left a message. Then my house phone beeps but I'm on the phone. It's a business call so I ignore that too. And then The Text comes from Paul. "On my way to school. Lily had an accident" I get all flustered and become completely unprofessional and tell the client - oh my goodness can I call you back? Thankfully she has kids and I think understood my panic. All I could think about was how much Lily loves the monkey bars and that for sure it was broken arm. I call Paul and he doesn't know anything - just that she got hit in or near the eye. At first the teacher said it was a bad bruise then said go ahead and come get her. So off he went. Thank God he was in town. Thank God he was just having an office day. Thank God he answered his phone in his office, which he doesn't always do. I tell him to call me as soon as he knows something. So I call Wendi back and Bless Her Heart she's so understanding and we get her trip booked. Paul calls me and says he's talked to our next door neighbor The Doctor (Thank God for him!) and was advised to take her to the ER. He tells me she looks bad and that the eye is nearly swollen shut. I panic. Start blubbering about will she go blind, will she ever see again. And Paul calmly says she'll be fine..she can see...just making sure but she'll be fine. Thank God he's the calm one. I get to school to get Emma and Paul sends a text that she's fine. Just a surface wound. Phew....Thank God. The sweet teacher running carpool asked how she was and when Emma got in the car she knew Lily had an accident but didn't really know the extent of what had happened. She was mildly concerned for her sister. But then at dinner kept saying she needed an eye patch. Nice.

Paul gave Lily some TLC this afternoon while I was at gymnastics and dance with the other girls. When I got home I finally got to see The Eye. Great heavens is it Swollen! Purple! Black! Blue! I haven't seen that many shades of purple and blue since I watched Saturday Night Fever. It's quite swollen but otherwise she's in good spirits. She got a goody bag at the hospital so I pretty much think that made the whole thing worth it for her. I finally got to ask her what happened. Apparently she and 2 friends were playing with (not on) the see saw and someone hit it a little too hard and Lily was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got nailed right above the eye. Who knew see saws were such enemies.

No comments: