8.15.2010

Skate Diva

Today I got to take Emma roller skating for the first time. Let me just say it was so. much. fun! I hadn't been skating in years but skating is really like riding a bike. You don't really forget how to do it! And, as it turns out..skating rinks haven't really changed much in the last 20++ years. Still even have the circular carpet covered benches where you put your skates on.

I used to be quite a skater back in my day. That's right. Every Saturday we'd head over the "The Rink" (Raleigh folks - 'member that place?) with my gal pals. I had some fancy white skates pimped out with blue wheels, blue sparkly laces and a blue pom pom on the end. Of which I saved my allowance to buy at the Skate Shop conveniently located inside the Rink.

The DJ booth is still located "upstairs" above the skate floor and apparently you can still request songs. Though today's songs include a lot of Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus not Michael Jackson or Duran Duran (such a shame). There was the Hokey Pokey but no speed skating. And no couples skate?? Maybe they reserve that for Friday and Saturday nights?

Being at the skating rink brought back a ton of fun memories and the actual skating was tons of fun. Thankfully I did not bust my booty but I came pretty close! Thought I didn't try to backwards skate or the "crossover" going around corners. Falling is a lot scarier at my age! Emma did great considering she's never been on skates. She's already asked to go back, buy her own skates and have her next birthday party there. I'd call that a success!

No comments: