5.24.2010

400th Post!

I was trying to think of a clever name for this post and then I realized it's my 400th (!) post and thought that should just be the title. Other titles given consideration were: Dermabond: It's a Good Thing, How to Ruin a Playgroup and Thank Heavens for the Pediatric Urgent Care.

We arrived at our weekly playgroup a few minutes after 10. I'd just sat down on the couch and Jacob and Julia were playing with their friends. Five minutes later Jacob walked into the toy room and we hear a cry. I get up to check on him and notice there is a lot of blood on his forehead. I pick him up and run to the kitchen and my dear friends go get towels to wash his face off and a first aid kit. We cleaned him up and tried a butterfly bandage which he ripped off in about 3 seconds flat. The cut wasn't that big but it looked pretty deep and it was gaping so I decided to take him up to the Pediatric Express (a fabulous pediatric urgent care that just so happens to be about 5 minutes from my house. I think this might be one reason the Lord put us where He did). I got there and let me say it took longer for them to input us in the computer than it did for the dr. to look at him. Darn our insurance for changing every year...grrr. After what seemed like an eternity (but was likely about 5 minutes - but 5 minutes of Jacob running everywhere around the waiting area..clearly sidelined with his injury) we went back. The dr did see us pretty quickly and determined that yes the cut was deep but there was no major injury and that a little dermabond would do the trick. She said it should heal well and will be little, if any scarring. I was thrilled that no stitches were required and felt justified that I did the right thing by taking him there. Ten minutes later we were back at playgroup.

When I got back to Marta's house they had deduced that Jacob was standing on a toy and fell into the corner of the coffee table. Boys! He forgets he's only 20 months old! You know in 7 years of having girls we were so lucky to not have to go the ER/Urgent Care for injuries and in 6 months with Jacob we've been twice. I have a feeling we'll be regulars at the Pediatric Express.

1 comment:

kristin said...

welcome to the wonderful world of boys!

(glad he's ok!)