4.27.2010

When You're Really Glad Your Next Door Neighbor is a Doctor

I wanted to post about this yesterday but I couldn't think of a clever title. Clearly I still didn't think of clever title but wanted to post about it before I forgot the story (4 kids plus strep throat puts a little damper on the short term memory).

Sunday afternoon some of our good friends came over to hang out. They happen to have 3 adorable girls about the same ages as my girls. The kids all get along famously (well for the most part) or at least they generally like to be together. Their oldest went with my older 2 to AWANA Sunday night leaving the 4 little ones - 4, 3, 2 and 1 1/2 - at home. (We're quite something when we all go places together - its A LOT of girls but that's a whole other story.) Paul and Steven went to pick up the older girls so Frances & I were holding down the fort. Julia and their 4 year old (Roo) were playing outside when Julia runs in crying. She kept telling me her nose hurt. I thought she was just trying to get out of cleaning up so I dismissed her and told her to get outside and pick up the toys. She kept crying and a few minutes later came inside again. I asked her what was wrong and she said her nose hurt. I finally figured out that something was in there! As I ran upstairs to get the tweezers Frances got the 411 from Roo. Apparently Julia had put a screw up her nose. A screw! Seriously?! Thank goodness there is no bleeding but we don't know how long the screw is or where she even got the screw. Frances & I tried to get it out but again we didn't know how long the screw was and we were a little scared to pull too much. Paul thankfully gets home a few minutes later. Our next door neighbor, who happens to be a dr. (a cardiologist but still very helpful) was out mowing his grass. Paul asked if we had asked Jason to look at it. I'm like "um no..he's a heart doctor not a pediatrician" but Paul insisted we should at least ask him to look at it and see if he thought we needed to make a trip to the ER. A few minutes later Jason came over with some tool (thanks to his fabulous wife for finding said tool) and in about 25 seconds had the screw out of Julia's nose. Phew!!!!!! Thankfully there was no bleeding or anything so the screw didn't go in too deep. But honestly, who puts a screw in their nose?? When asked why Julia responded: "Roo told me to." Peer pressure at 3..who would have thought?

I think Julia has learned a valuable lesson as to not put anything in her nose. Hopefully my other children will learn from this too. And hopefully this will be the last house call that my neighbor has to make.

No comments: