4.28.2010

Clothing Drama

Scene in my house at bedtime last night as we begin to pick out clothes to wear today:

Me: It's going to be cooler tomorrow so we'll need to wear pants or capri's.
Emma (7): NOOOOO!!!!! I HATE PANTS! I HATE CAPRI'S! IT'S SPRING - IT'S SUPPOSED TO WARM!
Me: Well..I'm sorry but there is a cold front and it's going to be cooler tomorrow
Emma: I'M NOT WEARING PANTS. I DON'T CARE IF I'M COLD. I'M NOT NOT NOT WEARING PANTS.
Me: aaaahhhh!!! You can wear capri's or pants. I'm not changing my mind. (And I lay out pants to go with the shirt she picked out)


Scene this morning:

Emma: I TOLD YOU I'M NOT WEARING PANTS! I WON'T GO TO SCHOOL! I HATE PANTS! (insert crying, more screaming & yelling).
Me: (trying to remain calm) Again, I'm sorry it's cooler out today. I can't help the weather. Please get dressed.
And for the next 20 minutes she screamed, cried, yelled and generally had a meltdown about the issue.

I could have given up but honestly it was 45 this morning and they'd be going out for recess before it got warm . I knew she'd be cold. Also...she was just being unreasonable. They get out early on Wednesday and I told her she could change when she got home.

We've had this ongoing weather/clothes issue for some time. At different times I've taken away the "privilege" of picking out her own clothes - and oh boy does she hate that. I get that she like summer clothes better but I can't help what the temperature is going to be for the day. So..I brainstormed and made a chart that the girls can use to help them figure out what to wear for the day. Hopefully it will help them make responsible choices for what to wear and cut out some of the drama of choosing what to wear. Here's what I came up with:

Crossing my fingers it helps!

2 comments:

kristin said...

we did something similar after many (also similar) arguments in our house. we bought the kids one of those temperature gauges from brookstone which has the temperature for the week along with a picture of sun/rain/etc
our rules are: if the temperature is 60 or above, you can wear a short sleeve shirt but have to wear long pants. if the temperature is 70 or above, you can wear shorts and a tshirt.
we *never* have arguments about clothes anymore b/c the kids know all week what the weather is going to be. good luck with your chart!

Peeved Michelle said...

That's such a smart idea.