2.02.2010

Cabin Fever

So we got about 5" of snow on Saturday morning and now we're going on our 5th snow day. Apparently in NC you get one day off from doing anything for every inch of snow that falls. It's borderline ridiculous now. Apparently there are still areas of our county that haven't seen a snow plow. I have two thoughts about this: 1. All these snow days are just a ploy from the Wake Co. government to get us to spend money. You see all the main roads are cleared and EVERYONE has cabin fever so you know everyone's going to be out tomorrow spending money. Shopping, eating out, movies. The economy will surely be stimulated.

And my 2nd thought (and keep in mind that I was born and raised in the south) is that we southerners are just plain lazy about snow removal. We just assume that the sun is going to do the hard work for us. And I know..we don't have all those plows or snow equipment that they do up North but honestly, we could do better. There are a lot of people living in this area from up north - let them teach us how to do this better. They are all laughing at how 5" of snow has kept us out of commission for 5 days.

I love my children dearly but all this togetherness is a bit much. I'm ready for our routine to get back to normal and I don't like the idea of them having to go to school so many Saturdays. So, fingers crossed that after it's 50 tomorrow and sunny that ALL the snow will melt and we can get back to school on Thursday. And, fingers crossed that the weather forecast is so very wrong for the weekend.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Hear, hear on both points! :) Same story, different town.

Erin said...

You are right....we are laughing! :-) But seriously, 5" of snow barely even gets a mention on the news in Erie! I DO NOT miss that! I bet everyone is driving you nuts. Call me.