4.06.2011

Observations from the Masters

Paul and I are so lucky to have such an awesome family. A few weeks ago my dad offered us some tickets to the Masters practice round. Now I'm not a huge golf fan but I know enough to know that the Masters is one of the most famous tournaments of the year and that Augusta National is one of the most famous golf courses in the country. So we said yes please! We had some child logistics to work out but the stars aligned and my mom and my Aunt Pam were able to tag team and help us out with the kids. It also worked out beautifully that Paul had a stores to audit in Augusta so he was able to work while we were gone.

We left Monday morning and headed down to GA. I was hoping to be able to check into the hotel early and then Paul could get to his store. He asked me: Are you sure you just want to sit in the hotel?" Me: "YES! TV! Bed! Shower! No kids! Silence! Why would I not?" But unfortunately the rooms were not ready so I got to hang out at Walmart for a few hours. After which my husband actually wondered why I had purchases. Seriously? Did he expect me to walk around a new, clean Walmart for 2 hours and walk away empty handed. Does he not know me at all? Anyways..I digress. He worked. I shopped. We finally got to the hotel. We went to Chang's (I know sort of lame to go to a big chain but I love Changs and we never go there). I noticed on the way to dinner that there was an honest to God Christmas Tree Shops in Augusta. I can't tell you how happy I was about this! I haven't been in a CTS since we left MA and I have been in withdrawal. I mean the bargins! The cheap goodness! The stuff I never knew I needed! I begged and begged Paul to take me after dinner and we actually did need sunscreen. He caved and we went. I was happy. And the treasures! Exciting!

There were terrible storms in Augusta Monday night and unfortunately we woke up to no power at the hotel Tuesday morning. Which meant no hot water and no breakfast. Boo hoo. But it was still nice to relax that morning. The day was nice but it was really, really windy and a little cool. We made it to the golf course late morning. And to get to the point of the actual blog post here are some Observations from the Masters from a non-golfer perspective:

1. There are no cell phones allowed on the grounds of the golf course. There are about 10 million signs reminding you of this and remarkably I didn't see one person challenge this. Apparently if they find you with a phone they will confiscate it and ban you and the person who got you the ticket from the Masters for life.
2. There are A LOT of people at the practice rounds. I mean A LOT. Thousands and thousands.
3. Augusta National Golf Course is unbelievably beautiful. The grounds are impeccably maintained. Absolutely gorgeous.
4. If you are a single lady get yourself to the Masters (or probably any golf tournament). I think the guys outnumbered the ladies about 4:1
5. This is the only event I have ever been to where the line for the ladies room is shorter than the lines to the mens room.
6. Food is cheap at the tournament. Merchandise is not.
7. I have never seen so many people in one place as was in the golf shop late in the afternoon. Wall to wall does not begin to describe it.
8. They give you a great spectator guide when you check in. This is very helpful if you aren't too sure who the golfers are.
9. Fortunately the caddies wear the name of the golfer they are caddying for on their backs. This is very helpful.
10. We sadly did not see Tiger Woods. He and Mickleson did not play yesterday due to the windy conditions. Bummer. They were some of the few we knew.

We got home today and the kids were great. They were very well taken care of my dear sweet aunt had cleaned the house AND done laundry. So lucky I am..so lucky!!!

No comments: