3.21.2011

Potty Training Tips

A friend of mine recently asked via Facebook status for books on Potty Training. I said I'd message her some of my tips but thought...why not just blog it. I've successfully potty trained 3 girls (and by successfully I mean that none of them have/or will start Kindergarten in diapers), I've got a few tips. I have potty training on my to-do list with Jacob and I'm hoping by sorting out some of my thoughts on the matter it might motivate me to move that further up on the list. I've been buying diapers for more than 8 years - I'm done!

I have to admit I got tickled at my friends request for book suggestions. I remember, being that first time mom and wanting to get a parenting book on every subject. I read books, searched websites and joined discussion boards. The more kids I had and the older I got the less I relied on those methods but more on other parents and my own experiences.

So in regards to potty training here are some things I learned:
1. It takes two - the child has to be ready and the parent has to be ready. As a parent you have to be prepared for staying home, dirty laundry and frustration.
2. Getting dressed - your child should at least be able to pull their own pants up and down. It will just make it a lot easier for both of you.
3. It's helpful if your child can utter a few words. Full sentences? Not necessarily but they need to be able to tell you when they need to go.
4. Each child is different - some are easy to train. Some are darn near impossible. Some children are stubborn and not going in the potty is one way they are exercising their control. Some will pick it up right away and some not so much. Only you know your child. I have found that the children I pushed it with did not respond so well.
5. Try to make it their idea - toddlers and preschoolers love for "it" to be their idea - "it" being anything. If you can get them to buy into potty training and that it's their idea I think there is more success.
6. Sticker charts - never worked for me. Good for you if they did but it didn't work for me. Candy - that worked especially for my candy-aholics (of which Jacob is definitely one - that kid will do nearly anything for candy - hope this works for me in regards to potty training).
7. Pull ups are a scam - I mean really they are just pull on diapers. Don't get me wrong - I used them for night time but as far as helping your child train - I didn't buy it. Go cold turkey in underwear. You want your child to feel uncomfortable if they wet themselves. Keep in mind - some kids don't seem to care but for some it's a big deal.
8. I say portable potties are for the car - at home use the big potty. Be sure to have a step-stool at the toilet and toilet seat for kids to go on the big potty. I think those little potties are gross - who wants to clean it - yuck! When we were in the midst of training I kept one in my car and bags to line it with but I never used it for actual training - only emergencies.
9. If at first you don't succeed then let it go for awhile and come back when your child is ready. With 2 of mine I tried and tried with no luck. I quit and few months later they decided on their own they were ready. Those are my 2 with the fastest success and fewest accidents.
10. And finally - be prepared to know every potty of every restaurant, store and park you frequent. My kids still feel the need to scope out every bathroom every where we go.

Got any tips that worked great for you? How about you boy moms..any helpful hints?

No comments: